QUOTE OF THE DAY (OR MORE): "No, no. You don't understand. This is an '89 Calico. I'm pretty sure that exceeds the Kelly Blue Book value. The cat's totaled." --A comedian whose name I forget talking about a vet who presents a $3,000 bill for a 12-year-old cat

Friday, August 14, 2009

Sleep is overrated

The urchins, aka my 11 and 13-year-old sons, seem to be sucking me into their adolescent vortex of disrupted circadian rhythms. I seem to be going to bed later and later and more and more sleepy in the mornings.

Last night I decided to put my proverbial foot down and put my literal feet up earlier at night. By a more reasonable hour I was half asleep, only to be jostled awake again around midnight by the sound of the boys' loud conversation. They're supposed to be in their own rooms at night, but somehow one always migrates to the other's room where they chit-chat the night away until sleep kidnaps them against their wills.






Irritably I put up with the loud talking for a little while; I don't really know how long because time takes on different characteristics in the middle of the night, doesn't it? Finally, wide awake now, I sat halfway up and yelled: "BOYS!!!!"




The poor husband, whom I assumed would be as awake as I, jolted upright, violently wrested from his peaceful dreams. "huh? what?"


"oops. I'm so sorry!" I whispered. "My bad. hee hee. Just assumed the boys were keeping you up, too. sorry, sorry."




I think perhaps eventually I drifted back off, but the thing I most poignantly remember was my sleep again being interrupted by the sound of the cat hacking up a hairball, always pleasant around 3 am or so.
If memory properly serves, I believe she had similar woes around 3:26 am.


I finally arose at 6 am to get my ass kicked by humidity on my 10-mile tempo run, during which I failed miserably to keep my training program-prescribed pace. "Why does my training book think I can do this," I kept wondering. I'm so good at positive thinking during running...

It's going to be a great day. Really it is.
















12 comments:

  1. Having an "off" night kicks my a** in the heat and humidity. Pace? Very funny.

    Hairballs are so nasty but poor Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tylenol PM...works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way, I need my sleep!

    Too funny about your husband. Of course he was sleeping through it all. Men can do it.

    You've outdone yourself with the pictures this time. That hairball one is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your drawings.
    Seriously, did you have WORDS in this post(?), cuz I was mesmerized by your art.
    Your "CrazedRunner" self-portrait and "BarfingFeline" sketch made this too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add a barky puppy at 5:00 and you've just described most of my nights...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 drawings? YES! I hate to have just fallen asleep and then being woken up by whatever. I cannot go back to sleep for the life of me.

    Sorry about the run. At least you ran, right? BTW, Great picture of you in your sidebar...inspirational.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hacking up hairballs...twice...in one night. I feel for you. My maniacal dogs have been known to bark at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night, you know, about 10 or 11, and when I go stomping out to yell at them from the balcony because I have to get up at 4, half the neighborhood is now positive I'm a loon.

    And yet, even after all that, you still went running...I hope the rest of your day was worthy of another wonderful sketch, maybe one with an olive or perhaps a little umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brothers never need to sleep. When I was young, I shared a room with my two brothers, and it was "joke time" or "story time" or "who's the cutest girl in your class?" time every single night.

    The joys of brotherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your self-portrait! It is soooo funny!

    Sorry to hear about your run. Hopefully it was better today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun that your boys get along so well that they visit each other at night - though I can see how that drives you crazy. Cat, Suvia's 16 year old housemate, has demands cat food at 2 am and 5:30 am, so I completely understand the frustration of lack of sleep. I think I sleepwalk now to feed the cat. Love your drawings - keep posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! Our cat used to do that while we were in bed for the night. I'd always pretend not to hear it until my wife would get up and deal with it. :-)

    Yay, I'm all caught up on your blog. What fun reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No cats here coughing up hairballs, but I do have a son who laughs till he chokes. Keep up the drawings, please. They are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think - especially if you like it. If not, please reconsider (just kidding!) I can take constructive criticism! Really I can...