QUOTE OF THE DAY (OR MORE): "No, no. You don't understand. This is an '89 Calico. I'm pretty sure that exceeds the Kelly Blue Book value. The cat's totaled." --A comedian whose name I forget talking about a vet who presents a $3,000 bill for a 12-year-old cat

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In defense of homemade mashed potatoes...


Two of my so-called friends have protested my rantings with regard to the time it takes to prepare homemade mashed potatoes. Savor the articulate artistry in this defense of mashed potatoes by one friend:

"Just for the record, I have never touched a box of potato buds. I am 'Queen Potato Peeler' and believe me it is much easier than 'paring' a run-on sentence. There is just something grounding about working with the humble potato in its natural state than bringing it to irresistable in a pot of hot salty water. You should try it again-don't skimp on the salt. (Plus the type of potato matters, Russets tend to be grainer when boiled, so try the whites or the Yukon Golds) Yum."

As if that weren't enough, when I asked permission to publish her opinion she emotionally added to her soliloquy, initially completely disregarding my query:

"I'm telling you: you're not giving mashed potatoes a fair review! They are really easy for an every day dinner. ( I don't make them often because the gravy is too fattening and my kids don't like them much). Another important consideration is how 'wholesome' they are as we try to feed our families less processed food. Yes, publish my comments. I'm proud for the world to see 'I heart potatoes!' (but you do have to watch your serving size if you are watching your weight and not getting much exercise). "

Spoken like a true pediatrician.

There you have it, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think - especially if you like it. If not, please reconsider (just kidding!) I can take constructive criticism! Really I can...